Smart Solutions is searching for a Senior Geospatial Business Analyst who will provide geospatial expertise and creative web design support for a multi-site collaboration project. This project is scheduled over the next two years, and Smart Solutions offers a full benefits package.
A Site Profile is a required product for every Reserve in the National Estuarine Research Reserve (NERR) system. Per NOAA guidelines, a Reserve Site Profile contains orienting information and a summary of scientific knowledge for the prospective academic, agency, and management partners. Traditionally, the Site Profile product has assumed a static physical book or PDF compilation that is not updated. However, technology has opened the door to new and improved methods of organizing technical information, making it accessible to users through an intuitive interface that is updatable over time. Examples of existing relevant websites that integrate maps, data, and storytelling include the PacIOOS site or the St. Louis River Estuary Science and Stories site.
This project seeks to develop two Site Profile models, for the Lake Superior and He`eia NERRs, in a dynamic online platform that allows Reserves to synthesize technical information, biocultural narratives, media, and data into a digital collection that is interactive and easily navigable by the end-users. The models will generate a user-friendly template, applicable to newly designated Reserves in the NERR system, or established Reserves seeking to update their Site Profile.
- Site profile template (40%):
- Work closely with both Reserve’s staff to select an online web or geospatial format for the Site Profiles.
- Create a well-designed template with identified content areas into which Reserves can insert custom narrative text, data, images, audio and video files, and geospatial data.
- Share a draft template with stakeholders (NERRS, NOAA, key partners, and researchers) to further align the format and structure with their needs. The template will provide a format for Reserves wanting to pursue a biocultural framing for their Site Profile. Still, it will be customizable to fit the unique areas of content emphasized in each Reserve.
- Site profile tutorial (20%):
- The site profile template will be accompanied by a full tutorial for use by new Reserves or Reserves, seeking to update their site profile. The Geospatial Business Analyst will produce the tutorial with input from end-users and staff at NOAA’s Office for Coastal Management. It may include text, video, or multimedia instructional formats.
- Site Profile Models (40%):
- Partner with Lake Superior and Heʻeia Reserve staff to organize and add multimedia content into the template. The two resulting Site Profiles synthesize information about the Lake Superior and He`eia Reserves’ social and natural history through present-day protection, research, and restoration efforts.
- CMECS will be incorporated as part of the visualizations examining landscape change. These model site profiles also highlight relevant research projects and updatable “stories from the field” and will point toward future topics in need of further study.
- 3+ years experience developing an intuitive user interface with a wide array of geospatial tools and formats, including Esri ArcGIS Enterprise and other Esri products.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, construct and implement geospatial tools to organize and share a broad range of physical, ecological, and cultural data
- 3+ years experience and a demonstrated ability to develop and customize straightforward web design using accessible, low-cost tools such as WordPress or SquareSpace, including basic graphic design and hosting applicability.
- 3+ years of experience working independently while collecting input from and coordinating with a diverse team, excellent communication skills needed.
- Experience with Google search engine optimization
- Experience with cataloging and database management.
- Experience working with one of the Reserve’s local environments (either St. Louis River Estuary or Hawai’i) or the NOAA/NERR System.
- Interest and knowledge of flora and fauna of estuarine, coastal, or lake environments.
Are you ready to apply? If so, we would like to hear from you!
Smart Solutions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer functioning under an Affirmative Action Plan.